Sunday, October 28, 2012

Honest company

 Along with my Birchbox subscription (see this post), I also signed up to receive some free diapers and wipes from the Honest Company.   If I was going to get some cool free samples, why couldn't Charley enjoy some as well?    Let me start by saying I am in no way a fan of Jessica Alba, co-founder of the company, or any of her movies.   In my opinion, her acting is one dimensional.   Acting chops aside, she's done a great job creating a green friendly company.   I read her interview in Marie Claire magazine and realized, now that I'm a mom, Jessica and I have a lot in common.   Hey, if I came into Charley's room and found him eating parts of his diaper, I too would take action and try to figure out what exactly he consumed.


The Honest Company boasts that their diapers and wipes are "100% non-toxic, chlorine free, sustainable & plant based materials".   So you pay $5.95 for shipping and you're sent 7 diapers and a pack of 10 wipes to try.  Upon receipt of these products, you have 7 days to cancel your subscription.  What is a subscription, you ask?   Well, if you get the Diaper bundle, you pay $79.95 a month and receive diapers and wipes. The number of diapers you receive depends on your baby's size.  If you sign up for the Family Essentials bundle, you pay $35.95 a month and receive 5 different "non-toxic bath/skin and household cleaning products".   I opted to try out their diapers and wipes.   You get to choose the designs for your diapers. I thought the skulls, dinosaurs and anchor were the best designs, so I picked those.

I was amazed by the Honest Company's quick service.  I signed up for my free samples on Thursday and they shipped my items the next day.  I received my samples on Tuesday of the following week.






The package is the size of a small shoe box.  Alongside your samples, you get product information, which you can also find online.  The first thing I immediately noticed about their diapers was their lack of odor.  Normally, new diapers have a distinct smell.  I can't really begin to explain or describe the smell, but it reminds me of...duh...babies!  Well, these non-toxic, plant based diapers did not have any smell AT ALL.  They felt like the diapers Bubba and I buy for Charley at Costco, except they seemed a little more stiff in the crotch.  We change Charley's diaper every 2-3 hours or when we smell poop (haha).  So I gave these Honest Company diapers a test drive.  Charley didn't seem to notice the difference between these diapers and the Costco ones.  After 3 hours, I went to change him and did not like what I saw.  The diaper did not keep him dry.  It didn't seem to be very absorbent.  Charley has gone without a diaper rash (knock on wood) since he was born and I wasn't going to risk him getting one.  So I decided to just keep the Honest diapers on for 2 hours instead.  I honestly don't know what I was expecting with these diapers.  Besides being less toxic than the ones we normally buy, I don't see how they are better.  I will, however, give them an A+ for the diaper designs.  The skulls design looks awesome on Charley.



After having used up all the diapers I was sent, I gave the Honest Company a call to cancel my subscription. It was a 10 minute wait for the next representative to receive my call.   I knew that if and when I called (I had to call because it's the only way you can cancel your subscription) I would be asked to stay.  The customer representative I spoke to did give me a spew about how non-toxic their products were and how great they were for my baby, but I insisted the product wasn't for us and she didn't push it.

Bubba and I will continue to buy Charley's diapers from Costco and hey, maybe I'll just start drawing skulls on them. :)

No comments: